To commission a map, please send me an email with the details of the map that you require. The more information you can provide at this stage, the more accurate I can be in providing you with a quote. When doing this it is useful to think about the following questions:
- What size do you need map to be – either as a physical print out or for use online?
- What resolution do you require? 300dpi is typical for print media, or 150dpi for a large poster.
- Should the map be colour or greyscale?
- Do you need multiple versions? Often it is useful to have a GM’s version and a players’ version for a game map.
- Can you provide any text about the map? Maps are usually used to illustrate a location described in text. If you can provide the accompanying text then I will be more able to create a map that accurately depicts your location.
- Do you have a particular style in mind? If so, then please let me know. It’s especially helpful if you can provide links to styles that you like that I can use as a visual reference.
- Can you provide a sketch? A sketch will be a great help in accurately constructing your map. Remember that a sketch needs to be functional rather than pretty. Check that there is a scale, and that all the important elements are clearly depicted.
This information will help me to give you an accurate quote and timescale. We can then discuss the details until we both agree on a price and a deadline. At this point I’ll create a line drawing of the map. This will allow us both to check that the style and content fits your expectations. Once this has been agreed, I’ll request 50% of the agreed payment and start working up the finished map. On completion I’ll send over the finished map for you to check. I will do any alterations required before requesting the final balance of payment. I prefer to work through paypal, but other means of payment are also fine.